So, to start to crack this rather large nut, let me begin with my 10 Top Tips for making the space in your life for YOGA!!
Here we go!!
1. Go online and find a free Weekly Planner from 6am-10pm and print off. Use this to block off all your commitments through a whole week and see where you could make space for your practise. Decide realistically when is the best time for you to step out of your daily routine; how long you can give to yourself? Which day/s? What time? Why do you want to practise? To energise you for your day ahead? Or to de-stress after work?! To help you sleep? Make a plan and try it out…if it doesn’t work, try a different plan until you find a routine that fits your lifestyle…..and don’t give up!!
2. Add your practise onto another activity e.g. after your morning shower, after you come home from work, before you cook tea. New habits form with routine and perseverance!! (Remember you can’t do your practise straight after meals).
3. Decide where in your house you can fit your mat (buy a good quality yoga mat, free of chemical nasties) and where you won’t be disturbed. Make it a special space and light a candle before you begin. Add a Buddha, crystals and incense if you wish; make it your sacred Yoga Space.
4. Choose your three favourite postures and start there – this is your treat and NOT a chore! Just tell yourself that if all you can do is those three postures then that’s better than nothing……see where that leads you! Listen to your body and move accordingly with respect and patience always!
5. Have a few yoga books to hand for inspiration, you can find postures or a short sequence and follow the instructions. This helps to know that you’re doing the postures correctly and keeps your practise fresh by trying new things. Also, great bedtime reading; you can plan your next session!
6. Using an online studio is a great idea if you’re not confident on your own at first. There are loads to choose from! Dru has a great offering for £10 a month www.druyoga.com. I also like https://oneoeight.com. A popular one is https://movementformodernlife.com. All three have a wide variety of classes.
7. Remember that Relaxation is an important part of your yoga routine and don’t miss out at least 5-10 minutes at the end of your practise. Or just have one session in your plan that is a 15-20 minute deep relaxation. Bliss!!
8. Take yoga into your everyday life. This is not just a practise that happens on your mat! Stand in Tadasana in the supermarket queue, practise belly breathing to help you fall asleep, shoulder rotations at the office desk, smile at people!!
9. Try listening to ‘yoga music’ in the car and house. Mantras are very ancient and sacred and the sound of the Sanskrit words will infuse your life with the sounds of India! My playlists are on Spotify, follow me ‘katehh07’. I mostly play Yoga Chillout in class, so that’s a good place to start. Make your own yoga playlists from your faves! Enjoy having new relaxing music at your fingertips.
10. Meditation is the goal of our yoga practise. With the body stretched, strengthened and relaxed, we can sit with a tall spine and focus on the breath. The health benefits have been proven many times over, so try to add 10 minutes at least into your weekly plan, or if meditation is more your goal and focus for your home practise, then at least 10 minutes daily.